In 3 weekends over 3 months
We welcome applicants who are now working in these professions and roles: counsellor, psychotherapist, psychologist, complementary therapist, doctor, nurse, social worker, teacher, manager or a similar role in the allied health professions or in voluntary work.
Gender identification, race, culture, age, class, disability or other differences are unrelated to competence to practice as an Autogenic Therapist. We have had successful practitioners from all walks of life.
The six-day Foundation Course in AT is the second of three courses which, if all three are completed, lead to the Post Graduate Certificate in Autogenic Therapy. Many professional bodies accept the Foundation Course’s Certificate of Attendance for CPD.
Course Dates 2019: Please write to Training@autogenic-therapy.org.uk for further information. Dates will be set in September 2018 and weekends are spread over 3 months. You may download our Application Form here.
The Foundation course prepares participants to teach autogenic training (AT) to others. You will already be familiar with this meditative form of stress-management as you have learned AT for yourself. Your personal experience of AT is at the heart of learning to be an AT Therapist.
- classroom training over 2 weekend days per month
- reading and continuing personal AT practice
- test at the final weekend
- you teach AT to one client, with supervision
- you present this as a written case study.
After successful assessment you will be:
- An Associate Membership of the British Autogenic Society for two years
- With a Certificate of Attendance of the Foundation Course in AT which you may use for CPD
- Able to teach AT under the supervision of a BAS trained Autogenic Therapist of your choice.
We recommend that you earn your PGCertAT within the two years of beginning your Associate Membership.
Foundation Course Content
- philosophy, history and concepts of AT
- theory (basic principles of AT’s mechanisms)
- practice and background of each of the six standard AT exercises
- intentional offloading exercises: history, context, rationale and practical teaching
- basic elements of instructing clients (postures, difficulties, process facilitation).
All of this is set within the context of the kinds of problems (e.g. anxiety, insomnia, stress related conditions) clients typically bring. The application of AT is very broad: it is suitable for any age (over 5) and any setting.
To apply, please complete this Application Form and email it our Course Administrator at Training@autogenic-therapy.org.uk.After completing Module 1, the Foundation course, you will be an Associate member of the Society and you may begin work with clients under tutorial supervision. Your course fee covers 12 hours of tutorial supervision.